Sunday, June 3, 2012

Book Review: A Tale of Two Cities


This is the second book by Dickens I have read.  It is a very thoughtful and moving story, but like many of Dickens books, it is not a quick or easy read.  I like to read books in 1 or 2 days.  I started this book once about 5 years ago, and never got past chapter 6 (The Shoemaker).  This time I read it leisurely over a month.  I admit that the first half of the book was still very slow.  I didn't understand the point of all these random characters, and why we needed so much detail about each.  I got bored with years of dinner parties and vague conversations.
Then the French Revolution starts, and all the seemingly random threads of plot begin to weave together.  We read gruesome and harrowing details of the guillotine and the unpredictable people's court that sends tens if not hundreds to their death every day.
 
This book has many great themes; the best being reflected in this line: “The vigorous tenacity of love is always so much stronger than hate.” There are stories of redemption, hate, forgiveness, sacrifice, undying love, and fierce loyalty.  The last half of the book is a roller-coaster ride of emotion changing quickly from elation to defeat and then hope rising again. 

Last impressions: Life's purpose is to love and serve others...(and try to avoid women who knit)

Favorite Quotes:

(Opening paragraph) - "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way."

"Then tell the Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."

“The vigorous tenacity of love is always so much stronger than hate.”

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

Most disturbing quote: (a man singing as he saws wood) 
"My work is my business. See my saw! I call it my Little Guillotine. La, la, la; La, la, la! And off his head comes!...I call myself the Samson of the firewood guillotine. See here again! Loo, loo, loo; Loo, loo, loo! And off her head comes! Now, a child. Tickle, tickle; Pickle, pickle! And off its head comes. All the family!"

No comments: