Monday, June 23, 2014

The Bias of Assuming Bias

I am white.
I am male. 
I am American.
I am short, bald, Christian, and married with kids.
I also fit under a thousand other labels, which can be interesting and informative, or stereotypical and speculative.

If I support a “women’s cause,” I am told I am open-minded.  If I do not support one I am told it is because I am male, and I am “biased.”
Why couldn’t I be open-minded in both instances?
On the flipside - who’s to say I wasn’t unfairly biased both times?  It’s just that women didn’t mind it the first time because my bias was in their favor.

Because I am white – does that mean I am biased against all other races?  Automatically?
Because I am short, am I biased against those who are tall?  Am I biased against those with hair on their heads? 

Who is more biased: a Christian, a Muslim, or an Atheist? 
The question is idiotic.  It depends on the individual.  I am a Christian, yet I know Muslims who are far better people than some of the Christians I know.
(And by my reading of the Bible, I know some Atheists more likely to go to heaven than some Christians)


Bias and prejudice and misunderstanding are all “no respecter of persons.” 
When we assume bias based on demographics – guess whose really being the biased one?
Women are just as biased as men.  Blacks just as biased as Whites.  Poor are just as biased as Rich.  Married just as biased as Single.

When you tell someone “you’re biased because you’re _____,”  guess whose bias is shining through?

There ARE people who gain more understanding, spend more time in introspection, and work harder to eliminate their biases.  Those people both Republicans and Democrats, both Men and Women.  They are in all groups, all religions, and they are part of every demographic.

No comments: