Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Book Review: Alice in Wonderland

Well, I finally read it.  After all the movies and re-tellings and plays and musicals, I finally read Alice on Wonderland.

My first thought - "that was it?"

This book does not seem well crafted or really very interesting.  It's creative, but it seems more like Lewis Carroll simply dictated what he saw while on drugs.  It is very imaginative, and it has a few fun characters.  This can't make up for the fact that none of the characters are well explored, the story doesn't make much sense, it just kind of jumps from one random scene to the next.

I guess if Carroll was just trying to point out that our dreams make no sense, then he succeeded.  But as for writing an intriguing tale, well....he failed to intrigue me.

3 comments:

buzygrizz said...

I read it to my nephew (age 7 at the time) last year. I would have to agree with you. But I think the queen would order your head off.
- Lisa

purplesunshine said...

But Matt, the story isn’t about an LSD induced dream. It’s about the magic of imagination and innocence. It’s about what the world might look like to a child who still loves let’s pretend. It’s about a little girl’s experiences as she interacts with the mad, mad world known as adulthood. Her innocence and naivety are brought into clear focus by the chaotic and baffling behavior of the adults around her. Hers is the only sane voice in slippery, slidey Wonderland and consequently she seems to be the only person who realizes something is not “natural.”

I like Alice in Wonderland but I like Through the Looking Glass better. Maybe read that next?

Elizabeth said...

I read this as a kid and it has a soft spot in my heart. I think I like the pictures more than anything.

Lewis Caroll knew a young girl who prodded him to tell her stories. Alice and Wonderland was one of them. I wasn't left with the impression that it was supposed to do a lot of anything except be entertaining to a young child. I think it can do that for a lot of kids.